turkey seeks arrest of 35 media workers
Thursday 3 April 2025
Last Updated : GMT 09:40:38
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

Over alleged Gulen links

Turkey seeks arrest of 35 media workers

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicleTurkey seeks arrest of 35 media workers

There is growing alarm over press freedom in Turkey
Istanbul - Muslimchronicle

Turkish authorities on Thursday issued arrest warrants for 35 employees of media groups on suspicion of links to the alleged mastermind of the failed 2016 coup Fethullah Gulen, the state-run news agency said.

Nine people have been detained so far, Anadolu news agency said, adding that the suspects were accused of using a messaging app allegedly used by Gulen to mobilise followers in Turkey and of belonging to a "terror" group.

Thousands of people have already been arrested in Turkey for using the Bylock messaging app, which the authorities say was used by Gulen supporters to coordinate actions ahead of the plot.

The latest arrests come amid growing alarm over press freedom in Turkey under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in particular under the state of emergency imposed in the wake of the failed July 2016 coup and which remains in place.

Gulen, an Islamic preacher who lives in the US state of Pennsylvania, denies any link to the botched putsch.

Those detained include a former columnist for the Turkiye daily Ahmet Sagirli and the current website editor at the leftist opposition Birgun daily Burak Ekici.

Turkey ranks 155 on the latest Reporters Sans Frontieres (Reporters Without Borders) world press freedom index, below Belarus and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

According to the latest figures from the P24 press freedom website, there are 164 journalists behind bars in Turkey, most of whom were detained under the state of emergency.

In one of the highest profile cases, 17 staff from the Cumhuriyet daily -- one of the few voices in the media in Turkey to oppose Erdogan -- last month went on trial for aiding "terror" groups.

While most of the suspects in that case have been released from pre-trial detention, four Cumhuriyet journalists, most of whom have been held for eight months, remain behind bars.

The crackdown has also affected foreign reporters and freelance French journalist Loup Bureau was detained last month on charges of links to a Kurdish militia Ankara regards as a terror group.

Source: AFP

themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

turkey seeks arrest of 35 media workers turkey seeks arrest of 35 media workers

 



Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

GMT 19:44 2017 Wednesday ,29 November

Venezuela's Maduro to seek 2nd term in 2018

GMT 21:49 2017 Tuesday ,28 February

April 20 - May 20

GMT 01:33 2017 Sunday ,12 February

MBRSC and AUS announce launch of Nayif

GMT 10:30 2017 Thursday ,21 September

Actress Haifa Wahby could sign contract

GMT 09:52 2017 Friday ,22 September

Manchester United post record profits

GMT 09:14 2017 Sunday ,08 October

Egyptian diplomat leads race

GMT 08:36 2017 Tuesday ,19 December

Nelly Karim happy for her advertising campaign

GMT 10:10 2017 Friday ,22 September

Picasso's Italy journey celebrated in Rome expo

GMT 11:25 2017 Saturday ,01 July

Foo Fighters to rock Acropolis

GMT 00:10 2017 Monday ,24 April

5 killed in house fire in NYC

GMT 14:26 2015 Saturday ,20 June

Jewellery boutique Rococo Jewels appoints Iroquois

GMT 14:13 2016 Sunday ,18 December

With UAE concert, Sami Yusuf does his bit for Syria

GMT 14:31 2011 Thursday ,28 April

World Bank warns of China property downturn risk

GMT 04:17 2013 Thursday ,16 May

Learning the hard way

GMT 15:27 2017 Thursday ,09 March

Iraq Parliament Speaker Meets Tunisian FM

GMT 08:01 2017 Saturday ,12 August

Federer punches ticket to Montreal semis
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
 
 Themuslimchronicle Facebook,themuslimchronicle facebook  Themuslimchronicle Twitter,themuslimchronicle twitter Themuslimchronicle Rss,themuslimchronicle rss  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle