eu parliament backs opening next round of brexit talks
Thursday 3 April 2025
Last Updated : GMT 09:40:38
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

EU Parliament backs opening next round of Brexit talks

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicleEU Parliament backs opening next round of Brexit talks

President Antonio Tajani
Strasbourg - Muslimchronicle

The European Parliament on Wednesday gave its backing to opening the next phase of Brexit talks, but said Britain must "fully and faithfully" turn last week's hard-fought divorce deal into a final exit treaty.

Parliament President Antonio Tajani welcomed the vote in Strasbourg, eastern France, as "an important step forward" but said MEPs still had concerns about citizens' rights and the Irish border.

The resolution, which passed by 556 votes to 62 with 68 abstentions, includes a stinging rebuke for Britain's Brexit minister David Davis, saying comments he made at the weekend "risk undermining" the negotiations.

Davis caused alarm by telling the BBC on Sunday that a deal struck in Brussels last Friday after six months of tough, at times acrimonious talks was a "statement of intent" rather than "legally enforceable".

This prompted the EU to toughen its stance on trade talks and warn London against backsliding on the agreement, which paves the way for an EU summit this Friday to open the next round of negotiations, covering Britain's future relations with the remaining 27 members of the bloc.

The European Parliament will have the final say on any eventual Brexit deal in 2019, but Wednesday's vote was not binding.

“While I am optimistic as far as the second phase is concerned, we have to ensure that the joint report presented last week is fully and faithfully translated into the wording of the exit treaty," Tajani said.

"No discussions on future relations will take place if the principles contained are not implemented."

The parliament's pointman on Brexit, former Belgian PM Guy Verhofstadt, said Davis had given him a personal assurance that London would stick to its commitments.

Davis had told the BBC that Britain would not honour its £35 billion to £39 billion (40-45 billion euros, $47-$52 billion) divorce bill as agreed under last week's deal if it fails to secure a future EU trade agreement when it leaves in March 2019.

Negotiating guidelines that EU national leaders are set to adopt in Brussels on Friday will say that the next phase of talks can start only once the divorce commitments are "translated faithfully in legal terms," according to a draft seen by AFP.

A senior EU official said the guidelines had been "Mr Davis-proofed".

The EU has toughened a previous draft so that it now says talks on trade will not start until March, to give the British government time to provide "further clarity" on what it wants from the future relationship.

themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

eu parliament backs opening next round of brexit talks eu parliament backs opening next round of brexit talks

 



Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

GMT 08:26 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Five things to know about Davos

GMT 08:53 2017 Tuesday ,07 November

Qatar buys 9.6% of Cathay Pacific

GMT 08:08 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

'A number of fatalities' in London tower block fire

GMT 14:33 2011 Tuesday ,04 October

Climate swings increase extinction risk

GMT 07:27 2017 Tuesday ,08 August

Madrid pushing for Eurozone budget: PM

GMT 08:35 2017 Friday ,06 October

FC Barcelona, Iniesta urge dialogue

GMT 16:15 2015 Friday ,23 October

Italy privatisation values post office at €8.8bn

GMT 08:44 2017 Saturday ,25 February

US seeks extradition of ex-Guatemalan vice president

GMT 12:23 2012 Wednesday ,18 January

1 Laptop per child launches XO 3.0 tablet

GMT 13:54 2015 Monday ,06 April

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa announces offers

GMT 09:45 2011 Wednesday ,02 November

Saleh doesn\'t see reality

GMT 03:20 2017 Monday ,27 February

Iran complies with nuclear deal: UN watchdog
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
 
 Themuslimchronicle Facebook,themuslimchronicle facebook  Themuslimchronicle Twitter,themuslimchronicle twitter Themuslimchronicle Rss,themuslimchronicle rss  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle