now trump’s f35 fighter jet costcut claims disputed
Friday 4 April 2025
Last Updated : GMT 09:40:38
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

Now Trump’s F-35 fighter jet cost-cut claims disputed

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicleNow Trump’s F-35 fighter jet cost-cut claims disputed

Trump’s assertion he personally intervened to secure cost cuts on the F-35 fighter
New York - Arab Today

The US president Donald Trump’s assertion that he is saving the Pentagon a fortune on its next generation fighter jet, the F-35, is being disputed again – this time, by the US armed services commitee and one of the partners in the programme.
The lower price on the US$8.2 billion contract is due to cost reductions achieved through a long-planned increase in production, the BAE Systems chief executive Ian King at the weekend, even as Mr Trump said his personal intervention cut the burden on taxpayers.
Senator Jack Reed, the ranking Democrat on the armed services committee, had previously said the $728 million in savings "would have happened anyway". Savings on the order for 90 of the Lockheed Martin combat jets exceeded the $600m that Mr Trump initially said he had achieved.
"This is simply taking credit for what’s been in the works for many months," Mr Reed said.
The latest conundrum comes after the US air force last week said it could not account for $1bn in savings that Mr Trump said he had negotiated for the programme to develop, purchase and operate two new Boeing jets to serve as Air Force One.
"I got the generals in, who are fantastic. I got Boeing in. But I told Boeing it’s not good enough. We’re not going to do it. The price is still too high," he told a rally in Florida.
But that left military officials scratching their heads.
"To my knowledge I have not been told that we have that information," Colonel Pat Ryder, an air force spokesman, said when asked how Mr Trump had managed to reduce the price for the new presidential plane.
Regarding the latest Trump claims, Mr King said: "In terms of the projected prices, they were all to do with the ramp-up in rates and were well-advertised.
"But if somebody wants to take credit for that finalisation, negotiation, then they can take credit for that negotiation if they wish."
At the weekend, BAE said Mr King’s comments were taken out of context.
"In response to a question, Mr King confirmed that the F-35 partners continue to target cost reductions as production ramps up," the company said. "In subsequent public comments, Mr King also confirmed that president Trump’s intervention had acted as a catalyst to accelerate negotiations and agree significant price reductions over the previous contract and that remains our view."
Lockheed told Mr Trump last month it was working on a deal with the Pentagon to lower costs "significantly" for the next production lot of fighters. When the pact was announced this month, the White House press secretary Sean Spicer called it "another big win the president has delivered on for US taxpayers".
The new contract is the 10th tranche in a $379bn programme. Defence department officials and Lockheed had been negotiating for more than a year and "were very close on price prior to president Trump’s involvement", said Frank Kendall, the Pentagon’s chief weapons buyer under Barack Obama.

Source: The National

themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

now trump’s f35 fighter jet costcut claims disputed now trump’s f35 fighter jet costcut claims disputed

 



Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle

GMT 08:26 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Five things to know about Davos

GMT 08:53 2017 Tuesday ,07 November

Qatar buys 9.6% of Cathay Pacific

GMT 08:08 2017 Wednesday ,14 June

'A number of fatalities' in London tower block fire

GMT 14:33 2011 Tuesday ,04 October

Climate swings increase extinction risk

GMT 07:27 2017 Tuesday ,08 August

Madrid pushing for Eurozone budget: PM

GMT 08:35 2017 Friday ,06 October

FC Barcelona, Iniesta urge dialogue

GMT 16:15 2015 Friday ,23 October

Italy privatisation values post office at €8.8bn

GMT 08:44 2017 Saturday ,25 February

US seeks extradition of ex-Guatemalan vice president

GMT 12:23 2012 Wednesday ,18 January

1 Laptop per child launches XO 3.0 tablet

GMT 13:54 2015 Monday ,06 April

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa announces offers

GMT 09:45 2011 Wednesday ,02 November

Saleh doesn\'t see reality

GMT 03:20 2017 Monday ,27 February

Iran complies with nuclear deal: UN watchdog
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
Themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle
 
 Themuslimchronicle Facebook,themuslimchronicle facebook  Themuslimchronicle Twitter,themuslimchronicle twitter Themuslimchronicle Rss,themuslimchronicle rss  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube  Themuslimchronicle Youtube,themuslimchronicle youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle muslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle themuslimchronicle
themuslimchronicle
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle, themuslimchronicle